Graduate Diploma of Performance, Bachelor of Music (Honours - 1st class), Licentiate of Music Australia - Flute, Associate of Music Diploma - Music Theory, Associate of Music Diploma - Organ
Sydney based flautist and teacher Alexandra Castle is a qualified and well-rounded musician, having received an Associate of Music Diploma in both Music Theory and Organ from the Australian Guild of Music and Speech (2000), her Bachelor of Music (Performance) with First Class Honours (2004) from the Elder Conservatorium, and a Graduate Diploma of Performance (2008) from the Sydney Conservatorium. She was a recipient of The Foundation For Young Australians Centenary Grant in 2000, the Henderson Coursework Scholarship from Sydney University in 2008, and a grant from PPCA Performers Trust Foundation in 2013.
Alexandra is an experienced teacher, having taught over a thousand students in Adelaide and Sydney over the past 15 years.
Other than general enjoyment and emotional/mental development her students’ more tangible achievements include:
• High percentage of students continuing flute and music studies for numerous years
• A+ for all levels of AMEB grade exams
• Prizes at the Sydney and Adelaide Flute Eisteddfods, McDonald’s Sydney Eisteddfod
• Outstanding results for South Australian Certificate of Education, Higher School Certificate and the International Baccalaureate
• Encore Award and Encore Concert performance at Opera House
• Acceptance into Sydney Conservatorium
Previously a flute student of both the Elder Conservatorium in Adelaide and the Sydney Conservatorium, Alexandra has a strong background in ensemble playing, having participated in many state and national level ensembles: Adelaide Primary Schools’ Wind Ensemble (1994-1995); South Australian Music Camp concert bands and orchestras (1995-2001); Woodville High Special Interest Music Centre’s school ensembles (1996-2000); Adelaide Symphony Orchestra’s Big Rehearsal (2000); Elder Conservatorium Symphony Orchestra and New Music Ensemble (2001-2005); Adelaide Youth Orchestra (2002-2006); Australian Youth Orchestra (2006-2009); Sydney Symphony Orchestra’s Sinfonia (2007-2009); Sydney Conservatorium Symphony Orchestra and the Australian International Summer Orchestral Institute (2008).
Her primary mentors were Geoffrey Collins (Principal Flute, Adelaide Symphony Orchestra; Australia Ensemble) and Louise Dellit (former Berliner Symphoniker).
As a soloist Alexandra has had the privilege of performing both Mozart concerti with the Elder Conservatorium Symphony Orchestra (2004) and Sydney Symphony’s Sinfonia (2007), and toured all around Australia as guest soloist with Kammerphilharmonie Köhn (2013).
She has performed in masterclass for flautists of the highest international level:
• Emmanuel Pahud (Principal Flute, Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra, EMI artist)
• Denis Bouriakov (Principal Flute, New York Metropolitan Opera)
• Walter Auer (Principal Flute, Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra)
• Dr Michael Hasel (Associate Principal, Berlin Philharmonic)
• Emily Beynon (Principal Flute, Royal Concertgebouw)
• Michael Cox (Principal Flute, BBC Symphony)
• Paul Edmund-Davies (Principal Flute, London Symphony)
• Trevor Wye (well-known teacher and published author)
• Tara Helen O’Connor (soloist, teacher at Manhattan School of Music, New York)
• Ransom Wilson (American soloist, teacher and conductor)
• Molly Barth (University of Oregon, former eighth blackbird)
More recently, Alexandra toured China and Portugal as guest flautist with the Macau Symphony Orchestra (2012); held a two-month summer residency at the Banff Arts Centre in Canada, performing as Principal Flute with the Banff Festival Orchestra (2013); gave the Australian Premiere of Joan Tower’s “Rising” with Tonic String Quartet (2014); toured Queensland and Taiwan with the educational wind quintet The Chambermaids for Musica Viva in Schools (2014); and performed on five different types of flute for the Sydney production of Wicked The Musical (2014-2015).
Alexandra currently plays regularly with the Australian Opera and Ballet Orchestra and the Adelaide-based Kegelstatt Ensemble. She teaches flute at St Aloysius’ College, Glenaeon Rudolf Steiner School, Bethlehem College, St Vincent’s Primary, Holy Cross Catholic Primary School, Birchgrove Public School, Neutral Bay Public School and Lindfield Public School.
These details were last updated on September 10, 2016