Blue Card Holder, Employed by Queensland Pops Orchestra | 2013, Bachelor of Music Performance and Pedagogy | 2013, Diploma of Music | 2009, Winner of the 2010 Balaklava Eisteddfod – Instrumental Duet & Trio Open, Employed by Mueller International Chamber Orchestra | 2014
Verity is offering Violin, Viola, Music Theory & Aural Lessons. Individual and group bookings available. Pricing: 30 min – $30, 45 min – $45, 60 min – $60, and 90mins – $90. Verity enjoys all styles of music, has a flexible time schedule and welcomes all ages! Verity is farmiliar with Suzuki, AMEB, Muller Rusch, Kodaly, Kindermusik, Trinity College, Dalcrose, Orff and Colourstrings philosophies/programs. Verity is also patient and has genuine care for each student. She tailors teaching methods to suit the needs of the individual student and has a passion for developing full potential in her students!
Verity Van Rooyen was born into a musical family and has passionately been devoted to music since beginning piano lessons at the early age of 2. She was offered a flute scholarship at Heritage College and later a violin scholarship. This musical calling enabled her to be nominated as leader of the Heritage College Senior Orchestra and second violinist in State Music Camp Bishop Orchestra before graduation from Heritage at Year 11. Subsequently Verity graduated from The Elder Conservatorium with a Diploma of Music and from The Queensland Conservatorium of Music with a Bachelor of Music Performance and Peadagogy (Classical Violin), having studied under Keith Crellin, Graeme Jennings, Markus Stocker and Michelle Walsh, holding a deep appreciation for orchestral and chamber music.
Her orchestral and chamber performance highlights include employment as contract musician for Queensland Pops Orchestra, associate concertmaster position for the Queensland Philharmonic as well as collaboration with Australian String Virtuosi, Queensland Symphony Orchestra, Mueller International Chamber Orchestra, Burnside and Elder Conservatorium Symphonies, Elder Conservatorium Chamber Orchestra (including paid touring), Queensland Conservatorium Symphony, Opera, Concertos, Divertimenti String and Chamber Orchestras, Queensland and Elder Conservatorium Chamber ensembles including string quartets, quintet, violin/harp/flute trio (Winner of Balaklava Eisteddfod in 2010) and Baroque ensemble. Verity manages the Bonito String Quartet and Ensembles and has toured Sydney, Brisbane, Hobart, Adelaide, Israel and India since 2009 with performances involving combinations of strings, wind, brass, keyboard and voice. Verity toured with Australian String Virtuosi to Azerbaijan in 2014 to perform in Baku International Music Festival as well as performing as concertmaster for Redcliffe Musical Theatre’s Wizard of Oz.
Branching off from her active role as chamber musician, Verity’s commitment to her Christadelphian Church including Sunday School teaching and mission-work in India, has provided opening for her musical development in the South Australian Christadelphian Orchestra and Youth Group Music involving composing, arranging, conducting, recording, solo performances for large-scale praise nights/preaching campaigns/social events/formal services, jamming, and coordinating and leading rehearsals and tutorials.
Verity’s lifetime love of children and interest in psychology initiated her pursuit of String Pedagogy and as a private tutor to over 100 beginner – grade 7 violin and viola students from age 2 including special needs. She is known as a highly motivated musician and string teacher with a patient, genuine care for each student. Familiarity with Suzuki, AMEB, Muller Rusch, Kodaly, Dalcrose, Kindermusik, Trinity College, Orff and Colourstrings programs has led to Verity’s passion for developing full potential in her students and provided her the ability to tailor teaching to the needs of the individual.
Verity looks forward to heightening her performance career through her post with Queensland Pops Orchestra, Australian String Virtuosi, Mueller International Chamber Orchestra and business Bonito String Quartet & Ensembles while investing in her students at her home studio, Starshine Music Studio, Southern Cross Catholic College Campuses and Australian Academy of Music.
A highly motivated musician and string teacher with a patient, genuine care for each student, Verity has a passion for developing full potential in her students and the ability to tailor teaching methods to suit the needs of the individual, creating a fun and highly productive learning environment. Verity has graduated with a Bachelor of Music Performance and Pedagogy from the Queensland Conservatorium and looks forward to heightening her performance career as a member of Australian String Virtuosi, Queensland Pops Orchestra and her business Bonito String Quartet & Ensembles while investing time in her students.
• Employed as contract musician for Queensland Pops Orchestra | 2014 – 2013
• Collaboration with Queensland Symphony Orchestra | 2012
• Scholarship for Australian International Symphony Orchestra Institute in Hobart | 2014
• Associate concertmaster of Queensland Philharmonic Orchestra | 2014 – 2013
• Toured with Australian String Virtuosi to Azerbaijan for Baku International Music Festival | 2014
• Violinist with Mueller International Chamber Orchestra | 2014
• Soloist with Moreton Bay Symphony Orchestra | 2014
• Leader and second violinist of Queensland Conservatorium and Elder Conservatorium Chamber Music Ensembles (string quartets, quintet, violin/harp/flute trio and Baroque ensemble) | 2013 – 2009
• Queensland Conservatorium Symphony, Opera, Chamber, Concertos and Divertimenti String Orchestras | 2013 – 2011
• Elder Conservatorium Symphony Orchestra, Elder Conservatorium Chamber Orchestra (involving paid tours) | 2010 – 2009
• South Australian Christadelphian Orchestra and Youth Group Music (composing, recording, solo performances for large-scale praise nights/preaching campaigns/social events/formal services, jamming, coordinating and leading rehearsals and tutorials) | 2013 – 2004
• Manager of The Bonito String Quartet & Ensembles (performing for weddings, cocktail parties, funerals, corporate events and functions in Sydney, Brisbane and Adelaide. Ensembles incl. string quintets/quartets/trios/duos and combinations of strings (incl. bass/harp/guitar)/piano/organ/flute/oboe/tin whistle/baroque recorder/trumpet/voice) | 2014 – 2009
• Burnside Symphony Orchestra | 2008
• Heritage College Senior Orchestra (leader in Year 11) | 2008 – 2005
• South Australian State Music Camp Bishop Orchestra | 2007
• Participated in an 8 hour workshop/resource day at the Cuskelly College of Music directed by Dr James Cuskelly | 2012
• Private tutor to over 100 beginner – grade 7 violinists/violists from age 2 – senior, incl. special needs (eg. Asperges, Bipolar)
• Employed by Red Music Centre, Starshine Music Studio, Australian Academy of Music & Southern Cross Catholic Colleges
• Prepared many students for AMEB exams, with results ranging from A+ to B+ | 2014 – 2009
• Familiar with Suzuki, AMEB, Kindermusik, Muller Rusch, Kodaly, Dalcrose, Orff and Colourstrings philosophies/programs
• Teaching Observations with Keith Sharp, Loretta Finn, Maurie Cox, Melissa Dineen, Mei-Lee Stocker, Natalie Sharp, Elizabeth Morgan
• Bachelor of Music Performance and Pedagogy (Classical Violin) Elder & Queensland Conservatoriums of Music | 2010 – 2013
• Diploma of Music (Classical Violin Major) Elder Conservatorium of Music, University of Adelaide | 2009
Honours and Awards
Winner of Balaklava Eisteddfod – Instrumental Duet & Trio Open 2010 | Member of Kodaly Music Education Institute of Australia 2013 Student Member of the Music Teachers Association of SA 2011 | Flute and violin scholarship at Heritage College 2007 – 2001
Qualified in Animal Studies – worked as animal hand/vet nurse for various employers including The Adelaide Veterinary Specialist and Referrals Centre, Adelaide 2009 – 2006 | Committed member of the Christadelphians incl. as Sunday School teacher, musician and missionary in India 2013 – 2006 | Studied piano intermittently for 8 years 2013 – 1996
These details were last updated on October 28, 2014