"You won't find a better teacher anywhere. My lessons with Amy are so much fun. She is so inspiring, encouraging and just amazing!" - John
WHO IS AMY BASTOW?:
At just 30 years of age, Amy Bastow’s talents as a Film and Television Composer are already making waves, both in Australia and internationally. She has already gained the attention of Hollywood film-maker James Cameron (Titanic, Avatar), co-composing the score for his 3D feature documentary, Deepsea Challenge, which opened in August 2014 and screened across the United States, Asia, in Australia and throughout Europe. Her work on the documentary earned her a nomination for ‘Best Original Score’ at the 2015 AFI/AACTA Awards (The Australian Academy Awards).
Since 2012, Amy has been composer of the hit Australian TV drama series, Winners & Losers, writing and producing music for over 65 episodes. Winners & Losers has been nominated as Australia’s “Most Popular Drama Program”.
Amy also wrote and produced the score for ABC1's comedy series 8MMM Aboriginal Radio (airing in 2015), ABC TV's comedy Nan + a Whole Lot of Trouble (airing in 2016) and wrote additional music for Channel Ten's Mako Mermaids.
On the big screen, Amy has written and produced the scores for Early Winter (a Canadian/Australian Feature due for release in 2016), which screened at the 2015 Cannes Film Festival and the 2015 Venice Film Festival (and consequently won the Venice Days Award); and Crime & Punishment (an Australian feature film adaptation of Dostoyevsky’s dark thriller), due for release in mid-2016.
Amy also composed and produced the score for Australian comedy feature, The Heckler, which had its premiere at the Los Angeles Comedy Festival in December 2014 and the Melbourne International Comedy Festival in 2015.
Amy has also written and produced music for iOS games, commercials, corporate videos and interactive media. Amy has received commissions from the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra, The Australian String Quartet, The Song Company, Warner Music and even composed a fanfare for The Honourable Dame Marie Bashir AD, CVO (former Governor of New South Wales). Her music has been screened and performed in dozens of festivals and concerts across Europe, Asia, the United States, New Zealand and Australia.
In 2014, Amy was awarded a scholarship to attend the New York University/ASCAP Film Scoring Workshop in New York City. Whilst at the workshop, Amy studied with The X-Files Composer, Mark Snow; and Elementary, Homeland and 24 Composer, Sean Callery. ASCAP named Amy as “one to watch” and was awarded the Jimmy van Heusen Award for ‘Best Score’ at the workshop.
In 2013, Amy was a finalist (top 5, and the only female!) in the prestigious APRA Professional Development Awards for Screen Music, and again in 2015.
Amy holds a First Class Honours Degree in Composition from the Sydney Conservatorium of Music and an Associate Diploma of Piano Performance.
www.amybastow.com. Bio current as of January 2016.
WHAT DOES AMY TEACH?:
- Piano - classical, pop, chord charts, improvisation, film music etc
- Music Theory and Musicianship
- It's all about achieving YOUR music goals, so tailoring the lesson to suit your needs is Amy's priority.
MUSIC EXAMS (if that's your thing):
Amy has over 11 years of experience teaching the Australian Music Examinations Board (AMEB) national syllabus in piano from preliminary grade through to 8th grade.
WHO DOES AMY TEACH?:
minimum age requirement of 12.
for more details on minimum ability level, head to www.amybastow.com/education
WHERE DOES AMY TEACH?:
- At her home studio, in Brunswick (just off Sydney Road).
- Evenings Monday-Thursday. No weekend lessons available. After your audition, if you are successful, Amy will organise a time that suits you both one evening a week.
- All lessons are 1 hour in length.
- Your audition is free.
- $120.00 per lesson (1 hour). This includes tuition for 1 hour, all photocopying costs, administration costs, email/phone correspondence costs and video/audio guides created by Amy and tailored to your lesson to take home with you to assist your practice. You will still need to purchase additional music books and pay for any examination fees.
##Lessons forfeited by the student without 24 hours prior notice will still be charged for the missed lesson.
##If you arrive to your lesson late, the lesson time cannot be extended to make up the difference. Eg: If you arrive 10 minutes late, your lesson will now only be 50mins long and no refunds for lost time are given.
- Amy only takes on a small number of hand-picked students who demonstrate ability and commitment to the pursuit of musical excellence. If you’re interested in learning from Amy, you will be required to attend an audition. Head to www.amybastow.com/education for more info and to book an audition.
WHAT DO OTHERS SAY ABOUT AMY?:
"Thank you for being such an inspiration to all my children throughout the year. You are very gifted". – Mary.
"My son told me yesterday that he loves his piano lessons with you, so I just wanted to thank you for this". – Patrick.
"We appreciate all your hard work, enthusiasm and positive attitude in teaching our son the piano. He enjoys his music lessons with you and we know he has great respect and affection for you as a teacher". – Rose.