Styles: Jazz, folk
Skill Level: Beginner - Intermediate
A bit about me:
My name is Costa, I am a jazz trained musician (Bachelor of Music from JMI) majoring in Bass. During my studies I was trained by Helen Russell and Brendan Clarke, two of Australia’s finest jazz double bass players.
I tailor specific lessons to target student weaknesses in order to strengthen their overall bass playing. I teach people of all ages, and I am eager to help out anyone who wants to learn more about bass – whether it be how to hold the instrument or how to compose your own music.
Learning the double bass encompasses many aspects of musical knowledge, the elements of bass that i teach include:
* The physicality of playing double bass – including technique and posture.
* Finger training exercises used to gain strength and speed of your instrument.
* Technical knowledge of scales and arpeggios.
* Rock solid rhythm, the foundation of groove!
* Understanding basic western music theory – know what notes to play, and what notes not to play.
* Understanding the role of the bass player, contextual to the style you are playing.
* Developing the right attitude and practice routine for you.
* Understanding ‘tone’ – pickups, amps, basses, strings, finger position and finger technique.
* Basic bowing technique
* Learn to improvise. Compose your own bass lines, learn how to take a solo. Improvising is the ability to speak in the language of music.
I do most of my teaching through private schools teaching guitar, electric bass, double bass and ukulele. However, I also offer private lessons from my home, or by visiting the student at theirs. By not renting a studio, my overheads are low and I can offer my affordable rate.
No contracts, no fees.
I just ask that students are courteous and respectful of my time. If cancelling, please give me 24 hrs notice.
These details were last updated on January 20, 2017