Matt Cocking is a successful performer, entertainer and educator who remains in demand across the nation and is dedicated to inspiring a smile and fostering confidence through innovative excellence in performance, creating life long memories. Matt has an extensive background in performance, teaching and large events. His love for Marching Band and Drum Corps began in 1993 as a member of the Madison Drum Corps, Madison Wisconsin. While competing in Drum Corps International (DCI) a greater passion for perfection was born. Matt and his section also achieved the title of Individual & Ensemble Champion in the DCI Individual & Ensemble Competition 1993. From these grounding days, Matt has now played roles as a performing musician, adjudicator, educator, mentor and held management roles in the arts. As a performer he has played professionally both nationally and internationally with such groups as:
• The Queensland Orchestra
• Warner Bros Movie World Band
• Vegas Please (previously known as Planet Funk)
• backing bands for many national celebrities and artists
Matt founded and has managed Planet Funk www.planetfunk.com.au since 1994. Starting as a corporate covers band, Planet Funk has grown beyond belief. He also founded and manages Drum Camp www.drumcamp.com.au which has inspired over a thousand students.
As an educator, Matt is a national and international clinician, which he manages around his timetable at St Joseph's College, Gregory Terrace where he is the Director of Culture. Matt was also a founder of Creative Kidz on Stage, a company designed to place music programs in schools, teaching excellence and fun in the arts. His charisma, passion for excellence and fun has lead Matt to being an integral member of the artistic teams for large events such as:
• Sydney 2000 Olympic Opening Ceremony
• 2001 World University Games Opening Ceremony Beijing – China
• 2003 World Cup Rugby Opening Ceremony, Sydney
• 2008 Beijing Olympic Games
• 2009 Creative Generations
• 2010 World Expo Music Festival Shanghai, China
• 2013 - 2018 Creative Generation Drumline, Australia's Largest Drumline
Matt is endorsed by Yamaha Music Corporation of Australia (Yamaha Drums), ProMark Sticks and Evans Drum Heads. He has a wealth of knowledge and a passion to pass it on.