Natalie Carolan has extensive experience, both as a musician and teacher.
She has taught both piano and voice at a variety of schools and her own private practice for over ten years. Natalie has taught one on one lessons, Voice Tech and Aural at Monash University, Vic Uni and Melbourne Polytechnic.
She’s also written, recorded, released and toured her own music, performing at venues such as The Melbourne Recital Centre, JazzLab, Spiegeltent and Howler. Her music has been added to official Spotify playlists, played on Triple J and other local community radio stations and used on a television series on the ABC.
Natalie hopes to create a nurturing environment, where students are able to gain confidence as vocalists and well-rounded musicians, exploring a wide range of skillsets.
Natalie Carolan is highly experienced in the following:
• Working alongside VCE students to co-create a program and technical work that is tailored to their strengths and interests, whilst still pertaining to criteria.
• Assisting students with their ability to hear and sing their technical syllabus (scales, arpeggios, chord progressions, improvisation).
• Fostering an understanding of how to safely use the voice in a way that feels authentic to each student.
• Learning ways in which to extend range, strengthen continuity between registers, access different timbres that may not feel so natural (breathy, belt, twangy etc) and control breath.
• Exploring stylistic nuances that pertain to a variety of music (jazz,folk, pop, music theatre, soul/R&B).
• Using practical and fun tools to develop improvisational skills.
• Workshopping songs written by students and finding different approaches to the writing process.
• Arranging songs in a creative way.
• Setting goals and learning how to keep yourself accountable.
• Teaching theory (beginner to advanced)
• Refining aural skills with students (beginner, AMEB, VCE, Tertiary Level)
• Exam (AMEB/VCE) and Audition Prep (Applying for tertiary degrees)
• Accompanying on piano
[[Lessons via Zoom ]]
30 minutes - $40
45 minutes - $60
60 minutes - $80