Taught in the keyboard lab on weighted digital keyboards, Piano for Beginners Level 1 is a group class designed for the absolute beginner. By the end of the course you will be able to find your way around the keyboard, play simple tunes and accompaniments and understand the basics of good piano technique.
Over 8 weeks, students will be taken through an intensive course of note reading, finger training and exploration of basic piano literature, as well as basic ensemble playing.
Level 1 will cover aspects of learning the piano, including:
• Note naming/recognition of all 88 keys of the piano.
• The musical alphabet
• Note recognition on a music stave
• Piano technique
• Note values and basic rhythmic understanding
• Understanding keys and accompanying 1-octave scales of keys up to 2 sharps and 1 flat.
• Piano solo and ensemble playing within fixed 5 finger hand positions.
ENTRY LEVEL: an ability to recognise the notes on the stave is helpful but not essential. Access to a keyboard or piano to practice would be beneficial and we recommend about 20 minutes of daily practice throughout the duration of the course.