Want to become a confident player of the Irish (Tin) Whistle?
The Irish Whistle is a traditional instrument of Ireland, used to play dance tunes such as jigs, reels, hornpipes and the slow airs. Click on the sound file to the right for a sample!
In these lessons, you will learn to:
● Make solid contact with the holes for a reliable and strong tone,
● Use your breath to get more out of your playing,
● Scales and how to flip between octaves,
● Do various embellishments including cuts, rolls, slurs, triplets, trills, and more,
● Read music, or play by ear (depending on your requirements)
● Connect with the instrument and play naturally and expressively,
● Relax into your playing for maximum enjoyment.
This instrument can be played at a variety of levels. On the surface, it seems like a very simple instrument, however to master the variety of embellishments which decorate the music can take several years.
The focus of these lessons is to master the fundamentals of the instrument first, as it is traditionally played at high speed and without the fundamentals, the wheels can fall of very quickly as the tempo rises.
Elements such as fingering and breathing first and foremost, followed by some of the artsy special effects that this instrument is known for.