M.Mus (Comp), B.Mus (Comp) Hons, A.Mus.A, C.Mus.A
My teaching practice:
Quality and affordable expert direction for you or your child’s musical education. I offer inspiring lessons with a vast amount of musical knowledge and experience in various genres to draw from, always tailored to suit you and your needs/wants. My lessons are fun and engaging while remaining appropriate and formal. Strong focus is made on student technique and musical understandings. I encourage versatility and provide a strong technical and musical foundation for you or your child to launch from in whichever field of study you want. Lessons with me are only part of a musical education as positive reinforcement, encouragement and exposure to music at home and in your environment are also keys to success.
My studio is a clean, safe and welcoming environment. I provide access to a vast amount of listen-able music, educational text books and audio-visual material as well as recording equipment. If desired, students are able to record their own CD’s for reflection and/or keepsake. (What a good Christmas present for the grandparents!)
Students are encouraged to perform at end of term concerts for invited friends and families and their fellow student peers.
I offer a four week trial period after which lessons are payable a term in advance. Missed lessons without 24 hours notice are typically not caught up (unless special circumstances) however, given notice, I will do my best to catch up missed lessons at a time that best suits both of us.
- Currently tutoring composition and lecturing in creative music technology at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music.
- 16+ years teaching experience (Bass guitar, Classical/Electric Guitar, Piano, Composition and Musicianship/Music Theory).
- 18+ years experience as a professional musician.
- Soon to complete PhD in Music Composition at Sydney Conservatorium of Music.
- 16+ years experience as a composer.
- Awarded Master of Music Composition as well as 1st class honours and a distinction average in Bachelor of Music Composition degree at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music.
- Numerous distinctions in AMEB exams with a final AmusA diploma on Piano, 7th Grade Musicianship, 6th Grade Guitar.
- Winner of the Alan Zavod Jazz/Classical fusion award in 2008.
- Have performed at multiple international jazz festivals in Europe and New York on Bass Guitar and Piano as well as numerous festivals in Australia.
- I have a strong passion for music in its inception, education, performance and composition.
- Advanced rhythmic studies are part of my main focus in my own personal development in music. Pushing rhythmic boundaries and practising complex rhythms has become second nature to me.
- I design my own computer software (including compositional, performance based and educational programs).
- 20 years experience recording sounds.
- I am dedicated to my students and to my profession as an educator and musician.
- I’m not quite sure what music is yet but I’m working on it..
- I am always seeking to learn more.
I live with my wonderful wife Alex and our two daughters and a cat in our beautiful bush setting home in Hornsby. This is where we both teach from. Alex teaches flute (beginner to AmusA level) and is a full time music teacher at Asquith Girls High School.
Thanks for reading and I look forward to your call or email.
You can find a sample of some of my personal music explorations on this website:
These details were last updated on February 15, 2018